The Mighty Word!

Welcome to my blog! A place where I ponder my journey of faith and the WORD of the living God, who became flesh and dwelled among us that we might live!

On a journey through "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers.

Daily Devotional for September 15th "What To Renounce"


Friday, March 19, 2010

Set Apart For Service



There is need to be determined in our efforts to be the hands and feet of Christ in this life. Believing we are living as the Lord desires, may give us a false sense of what we are set apart to do. Yet, when we look to the words of Jesus, we find a clear expectation of what work God's children should be involved in.

Jesus, speaking about when He returns to gather up His followers, has this to say. "When the Son of Man comes in his glory...all the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance , the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me," (Matthew 26:6).

This passage goes on to show how the goats on the Lord's left were told; "Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me," (Matthew 26:41-43NIV).

Christ has set us apart, to minister on His behalf,to the lost and in need of this world. Therefore, I can measure the eternal value of my work to a large degree, based on who and how I am serving others. Did our Lord not proclaim; "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor," (Luke 4:18-19NIV). We who have the Spirit of the Lord within, are also anointed to do as Jesus.

Oswald Chambers teaches: "Living a life of faith means never knowing where you are being led. But it does mean loving and knowing the One who is leading." Trusting in God is key to living a successful life set apart from others. Chambers points to the faith of Abraham to leave everyone and everything he knew behind to be set apart for God. It is amazing that Abraham removed himself--without a bible or scripture to encourage his steps--from those he loved. How can we do less?

I have been set apart to do good works. I have also be set apart to receive: the truth, a renewed mind, a new self, holiness and an eternal inheritance.

I am called to be a lamb in a world of goats. For on the day the Lord returns--as promised--He alone will determine who are of His flock and who are of the devils herd.

Lord, may my life reveal my heart to be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment