The Mighty Word!

Welcome to my blog! A place where I ponder my journey of faith and the WORD of the living God, who became flesh and dwelled among us that we might live!

On a journey through "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers.

Daily Devotional for September 15th "What To Renounce"


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Before the Throne



Mary and Martha were two sisters who loved Jesus and ministered to Him during his three year ministry on earth. The bible shares a moment in their lives when Jesus and his disciples visited their home. Martha minded the necessary tasks of preparing for the Master and his men, while Mary dodged the chores or disregarded them. Instead of lending a hand to Martha, Mary was found sitting at the Lord's feet. In their story we find two women who were compelled to respond to the presence of God. One woman prepared her home for an honored guest, the other prepared her heart for an divine tenant.

The scene unfolds in my mind as I picture a home busting at the seams with visitors: the excited banter about the days miracles bouncing off the walls. "And then the Master spit on the ground and rubbed the dirt over the blind man's eyes..." explains one of the disciples to a wide-eyed audience. The other apostles jump in every now and then to share their perspective of the healing as well. In the center of all the excitement sits Jesus with Mary close by His heels.

I imagine while the men continue their animated narrations, Martha scurries through the crowd filling cups, serving food and delightedly tending to the needs of her guests. However, something causes her demeanor to change. Perhaps the number of guests increases as word gets out Jesus is staying at her home, and before she knows it her two hands are two too few. Martha's joy of hostessing sours and she soon resents Mary's station at the feet of Jesus. Frustrated and perhaps feeling unappreciated, Martha goes to the Lord with her complaint.

"Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

I love that God included Martha's mild tantrum in scripture! I find it completely realistic. I think I would be hard pressed to count on two hands the number of times I've dared to speak to the Lord in this manner. Simply stated, there have been times when I have felt abandoned or alone and have cried out to God in my frustration, just like Martha.

"Uh, excuse me Lord...a little help down here would be nice!"

Yes, I confess I have approached the throne more haughty than humble a time or...twelve! I am sure I have no idea just how close to God's wrath I have come...if it were not for the blood of Jesus. In those regrettable moments conviction is quickly upon me, which prompts repentance and sets me restoring a right fellowship with God. I hope this is how Martha responded to Jesus as well.

Nonetheless, I understand Martha's frustration. Sometimes life seems unfair, out of balance or simply overwhelming. When things don't seem to be going as planned I can get upset and begin to worry. However, God's word tells us not to worry...about anything. Worry stands between us and the Lord. How do we get through a challenging life without worrying about our family, work, finances, future or health? We give our concerns to Jesus and trust Him to meet our needs. Oswald warns us the worldly view is to question taking our cares before the throne. Nonetheless, we find evidence of God's willingness to hear All our petitions...even those that may be worldly fashioned in scripture.

"The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God," (Philippians 4:5-6)

The apostle Paul shares this truth with us as an encouragement. We do not have to compartmentalize our concerns. God is willing to hear them all. Yet, we do well to remember to approach the throne of the Almighty with reverence and thanksgiving. Fortunately, in our moments of weakness when we may cop an attitude or whine, the Lord extends grace and mercy to us as He did to Martha. However, His response to our petition may stop us in our tracks.

While this scene depicts a lesson on priorities, I believe it has something to say about relationships as well. Carefully reading this story today, I saw a couple of important details in this passage that are worth noting.

First, it appears Martha has a close relationship with Jesus. This is evident in that she felt safe sharing with Him her unveiled feelings. In a culture where women were disregarded and given no voice, it is remarkable--to me--that Martha had this kind of access to the Lord's ear. Additionally, Martha's candor reveals there was a depth to their relationship which would grant freedom to speak so openly with Jesus. I can not imagine a hostess of any caliber sharing her burden with the guest of honor. I believe this shows a great closeness, if not family affection between them. It is absolutely true Jesus desires to have a close and personal relationship with us. Still, we should never forget He is GOD. Our petitions should be shared with praise and thanksgiving for the blessings He has bestowed upon us. I didn't hear thanksgiving in Martha's words...did you?

Secondly, I believe there is more to this account than the bible shares. I do not proclaim to have more of the story to tell. What I do have are questions connected to the abrupt end to the story. We are not granted knowledge of Martha's response to Jesus' gentle rebuke. I can't help wondering if it is because her response was not as it should have been. If this is the case...Martha and I could have some good conversations about lessons on submission, serving and sacrifice.

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered,"you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."(Luke 10:41-42 NIV).

Jesus' words to Martha had to come as a surprise. Surely Martha did not expect to have Jesus suggest she was misguided in her efforts. Note the Lord's repeating of her name.

"Martha, Martha..." (Luke 10:41 NIV).

This suggests his need to calm her before he could get her attention to speak a word of reason to her. I can hear his soothing voice trying to draw her away from the thorny hedge of bitterness that was beginning to choke her.

Next, Jesus points out she is "worried and upset about many things," (Luke 10:41).

Here we are given insight to Martha's real problem. Her mind is not focused on Jesus and his kingdom work. Martha appears to be caught up in worldly thoughts and attitudes which blind her to the Spirit of peace that is in her presence. I wonder if Martha was battling jealousy of her sisters freedom to sit and ponder, or maybe she was feeling left out. Martha may have felt belittled in a role as servant. Perhaps it was pride in her belongings, her service and hospitality even her cooking, which fueled her desire to open her home. These motivations, rather than thankfulness, generosity and compassion would certainly fail to satisfy her in the long run.

Lest we consider ourselves more Mary than Martha, we ought to ponder the words of Oswald Chambers. Oswald spends two days emphasizing the need to keep clear our path to the throne. Nothing is to stand in front of Christ in our lives: not want, need, fear or desire.

"A warning which needs to be repeated is that "the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches," and the lust for other things, will choke out the life of God in us," (Matthew 13:22).

In a world that is dark and often grim we can easily look to tangible things or our own accomplishments for comfort or validation. Our attempts to satisfy our flesh and tend our own wounds,draw our eyes from the throne of God and place them on ourselves. This is never wise and will certainly require some form of rebuke.

Jesus makes it clear to Martha that she has a choice before her. She can remain in her pity party state of mind--and miss the joy of the moment--or she can cast aside her worldly concerns and join Mary at the feet of Jesus. Regardless of Martha's decision, the Lord points out to us all, Mary chose well. Mary placed her relationship with Christ before everything and He declares; "it will not be taken away from her," (Luke 10:42). When we set Jesus as the highest priority in our lives, we can be assured, "it will not be taken away" from us either, (Luke 10:42).

The contrast between these two sisters approach to Christ is note worthy. As followers of Christ we have a daily choice to make as well. Will we focus on what is lacking and keeps us from approaching the throne, or will we model Mary's behavior?

Like Martha, Mary had a relationship with Jesus. An intimacy which was not reached by busting her back serving the masses or tinkering with worldly cares. Their relationship was built over time spent in fellowship and communion. She didn't run to Jesus just to solve her problems, she sought Jesus because she enjoyed His company and she desired to learn from Him. I can not ignore Luke 10:39;

"She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He said."

Mary was resolved to hear Jesus and I believe that is the major distinction between she and Martha. Scripture reveals Mary found her place at the Lord's feet: she sat at His feet in her home, she washes his feet with her tears at an other's table, she kneels below his pierced feet on the cross and later she clings to the risen Lord in the garden by His empty tomb.

Mary sought Jesus with her whole heart. She allowed nothing to stand between her and the throne of grace. Perhaps that is why she was blessed with His private greeting in the garden that glorious resurrection morning. How she clung to Jesus!

Oswald's warning is valid. It is frightfully easy to allow my desires and needs-- physical or emotional--to clutter my path to Jesus. Yet, I must remember living clutter free is a choice.

"Mary has chosen what is better," (Luke 10:42).

How I pray, I like Mary will make the best choice and cling to Jesus. If I choose otherwise and find myself crying out to the Lord, I Like Martha will receive His gentle rebuke reminding me "only one thing is needed,"( Luke 10:41).

"But seek His Kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well," (Luke 12:31).

Standing before the throne of God is a difficult thing to do...I am more inclined to kneel.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you use the example of Martha and Mary to further illustrate Oswald’s point for these two days of devotions. I find that I am consistently saying… “Oh, that is one of my favorite stories!” How many favorites do I have? Well, I am more and more in awe of God’s Word every day, so the list keeps growing! The Martha and Mary story hits home for me very specifically. I find my personality is much much more like Martha’s. I’m a worker. I like to keep busy. I enjoy a challenge, I enjoy being active, I like to “produce” something at the end of the day. But, as the Lord has taken up residence in my heart… my heart is more like Mary. All I want to do is sit at the Lord’s feet and listen. Therein lays the challenge, for me anyway. To balance my responsibilities and sit at His feet! My prayer is so often “Lord, give me more opportunities to just be in Your Presence!” Thanks for sharing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am realizing God is looking for my life to be a constant offering on the altar. If I make Him the priority then He will prioritize my day and extend hours is necessary. It sounds crazy but I believe the days I give to Him are longer than the ones I hoard for myself. In the end they are much more satisfying!

    ReplyDelete